1) A Companion to the American South – John B. Boles
Wiley-Blackwell | 2004 | PDF
A Companion to the American South surveys and evaluates the most important and innovative writing on the entire sweep of the history of the southern United States.
• Contains 29 original essays by leading experts in American Southern history.
• Covers the entire sweep of Southern history, including slavery, politics, the Civil War, race relations, religion, and women’s history.
• Surveys and evaluates the best scholarship on every important era and topic.
• Summarizes current debates and anticipates future concerns.
2) A Companion to the American West – William Deverell
Wiley-Blackwell | 2007 | PDF
A Companion to the American West is a rigorous, illuminating introduction to the history of the American West. Twenty-five essays by expert scholars synthesize the best and most provocative work in the field and provide a comprehensive overview of themes and historiography.
• Covers the culture, politics, and environment of the American West through periods of migration, settlement, and modernization
• Discusses Native Americans and their conflicts and integration with American settlers