HBR’s 10 Must Reads for CEOs (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
As CEO, you set the vision, the strategy, and the tone of your organization.
You establish priorities, anticipate and address challenges, champion and lead change efforts, set people up for success, and manage risk. Though you may have a great senior executive team and a top-flight board, the success of your organization depends on your leadership.
If you read nothing else on being an effective chief executive, read these 10 articles by experts in the field. We’ve combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the best ones to help you toggle between long- and short-term views, manage risk and innovation, and cultivate productive relationships with your staff and your board.
This book will inspire you to
• Navigate the changing global business environment
• Customize your company’s strategy to the environment you’re working in
• Attract, engage, and retain the best talent
• Anticipate and address legislative and regulatory issues
• Sharpen your awareness of the tactical and soft skills you need to lead
• Adopt a founder’s mindset and build new offerings, move into new markets, and create next-generation solutions
• Manage and build relationships with your board—and your shareholders
This collection of articles includes “Your Strategy Needs a Strategy,” by Martin Reeves, Claire Love, and Philipp Tillmanns; “Managing Your Innovation Portfolio,” by Bansi Nagji and Geoﬀ Tuﬀ; “Leading Change: Why Transformation Efforts Fail,” by John P. Kotter; “Reinventing Your Business Model,” by Mark W. Johnson, Clayton M. Christensen, and Henning Kagermann; “Leadership Is a Conversation,” by Boris Groysberg and Michael Slind; “Strategic Intent,” by Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad; “When Growth Stalls,” by Matthew S. Olson, Derek van Bever, and Seth Verry; “The Secrets to Successful Strategy Execution,” by Gary L. Neilson, Karla L. Martin, and Elizabeth Powers; “The Focused Leader,” by Daniel Goleman; “Managing Risks: A New Framework,” by Robert S. Kaplan and Anette Mikes; “21st-Century Talent Spotting,” by Claudio Fernandez-Araoz; and “How CEOs Can Work with an Active Board,” by Ken Banta and Stephen D. Garrow.